Wednesday 4 August 2010

Twitter Cabinet – A new forum for debate on the social network


The appearance of a “Twitter Cabinet” has taken the popular social networking site by storm. It’s a fantasy that I have long had, but thought un-do-able. But, to my delight, I have been proved wrong.

The concept is an attractive one. A bunch of political tweeters get together, and regardless of policy, form a Government and an Opposition. The non-party alignment idea is to encourage debate, rather than party political ‘yaaboo’ insults throwing and blind following. It is important to the founders, and of course to me, that this debate forum inspires thought and policy, rather than following the real Government and Opposition.

However the dream was lost. After looking from afar at how Twiter Cabinet was developing, I was appointed to Minister for Northern Ireland. Soon after my Secretary of State and I agreed policies. But, alas, once those that get power have it, they become those they despise.

Twitter Cabinet has fallen about into childish infighting, squabbling over titles and jobs, and, frankly, a joke, to be made fun of and belly-laughed at by those who have not included themselves in this experiment. It is time for that to end.

Tonight there has been a shocking development. I resigned from government in protest at the turmoil and infighting. I had time to watch the Ten O’clock news before all hell broke loose. A leadership challenge. Naturally, I threw my hat in the ring. Why? Simple.

This “Government” has collapsed. But more than that, the idea of Twitter Cabinet is at great risk of being lost. It was supposed to be all about debate. So I propose:-

  • Two new all member debates per week. Cabinet ministers may also submit policy ideas for government backing, which will then be voted on by the government as to if we should take the policy up.
  • Ministers and Shadow Ministers must show healthy discourse in their fields. Interesting debates should be posted on site.
  • Misgivings about government policy will be brought to me or DPM. Dissenters to collective responsibility will be reprimanded.

We must remember. This is a reasoned, enlightened, grown up debate. Not a free for all. So why not support me to lead the Twitter Government Cabinet? The current administration has failed. The Prime Minister has lost credibility, and has failed in the aim of Twitter Cabinet. Let’s have a new start to see if we can make Twitter Cabinet work. A social networking policy and debate forum, not to be laughed at, but to be respected and listened to.

No comments:

Post a Comment